Find out everything you need to know about becoming a Land Surveyor.
Job Title - Land Surveyor
Land Surveying is the science and practice of recording and setting out the exact measurements of man-made and natural features of the earth's surface.
Typical Job Activities
of maps and the determination of boundaries
Participates in the planning and construction of roads, railways, power lines, canals, engineering
structures, buildings and townships and is indispensable when it comes to preparing data on the measurements of lakes, rivers and the coastline
The land surveyor can specialise in one of the following fields:
- Geodetic surveying: Determining markers or beacons according to the lines of latitude and longitude
- Cartography: The drawing of maps
- Cadastral surveying: Entails the measuring of property for the planning of towns and cities
- Engineering surveying: Helping with the design of roads, bridges and tunnels
- Hydrographic and oceanographic surveying: Surveying the marine environment for the development of harbours
Does this sound like a career for you? Browse jobs in the engineering and construction industry here.
Civil engineering technician
Senior Certificate with matric exemption
Mathematics and Physical Science
Recommended subjects: Geography
What natural skills and/or aptitudes do I need for this occupation?
Open to travelling
Be able to work on your own
Be able to maintain good relations with the public
Have mathematical ability
International Employment Market
- national, provincial, local councils and government related organisations
Big private companies
Medium or small Companies
Own small business: Entrepreneurial opportunities in this field
Browse companies hiring now.
Relevant Contact Details
Council for Professional and Technical Surveyors
of Land Affairs
Career Progress and Path
studies in the specific career field
Further studies in related fields
Experience in specific field
Experience in related fields
Do presentations, seminars, publish articles, etc.
Possible Career Paths
career in the specific field
Management positions in the specific field
Management positions in related fields
Consultant/ contractor/ own practice/ freelance
Reasons to consider this career
A job in
To focus on a specific field
To apply my special skills