When it comes to moving a step up the ladder, you'll never know if what your chances are if you constantly hide behind the scenes. This is what you need to do...
Are you being passed over for promotion? Do you wonder why your colleagues are being given rewards, raises, and credit for work which you’ve also spent hours on? Do your managers give you positive feedback at every performance appraisal, and then seem to forget you exist again? If this is you, there could be just one reason for it.
Infographic: 24 tips to aid your successful promotion
Here’s how to remedy this little problem:
- Be seen and heard in your department, and organisation. By actively, positively demonstrating your enthusiasm for your role and dedication to the business, you’ll soon be making a name for yourself.
- Every time you’re part of a successful project, tell people about it. Whether you mention it in a weekly meeting, blog about it on the company site or send an email to your boss, make sure the right people know that you’re involved in good work.
- Volunteer to manage projects or head up task teams. Make yourself known as one who isn’t afraid of a challenge and is capable of leading. Don’t be afraid to initiate improvements or create opportunities for team building or learning.
- Help new employees to set up and settle in, and offer yourself as a guide where appropriate. Make sure it’s not just the top brass who know your name. Being friendly, approachable and likeable will get you far.
- Find yourself a mentor. With the help of an experienced leader, you’ll be able to learn the best ways to get noticed for the right reasons within your organisation, and industry.
If you've implemented this advice but are still overlooked for any promotion, perhaps its time you found another job. Careers24 can help you with that! Simply start browsing thousands of jobs. You can also download our free job search app right here.